Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Paris is burning pt. 1

After a very uncomfortable 7 hour bus ride, we arrived in paris at 6:30 a.m. I think when I'm writing about time, I'm going to start using the 24 hour clock from now on. Okay. So we arrived at 06:30 and it was freeeeezing cold. We walked up from the bus to the metro and stood there, nervously wondering how to buy a ticket. Anna lost and had to ask her for a day card, but she gave us only one for 2 days instead of 2 for 1 day.

We got off at Opera and saw the Opera house where the phantom of the opera lives. Our bellies started grumbling so we tried to find a McDonalds to get a delcious mcmuffin. No luck. And I had to pee. We ducked into the train station at Saint-Lazare because there was a sign that said toilettes. OMG. Worst idea ever. at 07:30 the train station was packed with commuters on their way to work. It was like a swarm of bees slamming into us over and over again. We ran out of there and into the open arms of a starbucks. I felt bad drinking coffee there but, you know what? It was the best starbucks coffee i've ever tasted. Ever.

After we starbucks, we found a mcdonalds (I know. So bad, but I did have a pain au chocolat from a little stand earlier) and Anna got us 2 bacon and eggers. So fucking gross. I ate a few bites then realized that my egg hadn't been cooked! The yoke was all runny and the white part was all sticky. Sick. Serves me right for trying to eat McDonalds in Paris!

Okay, now we had food. It was time to get the day started. We started by walking down Rue de l'Opera towards the Louvre. I thought we were going to go inside but that thing is HUGE! It would probably take about 2 days to cover everything. Instead, we took pictures of the glass pyramids and made our way to Notre dame. We ended up walking the wrong way, so we walked to the Eiffel Tower instead. On the way there, I noticed that everyone smelled like Jean Paul Gaultier's Classique. So good. I miss me smelling like that.

Our legs were going to fall off, so we stopped in this little park in front of Hotel Les Invalides and shared a beer. It was 10:30, but since we had been up pretty much all night, we didn't totally feel like alcoholics. Plus, it was so pretty there. Even the pigeons were pretty.

The Eiffel tower seemed smaller than anticipated until we got really close to it. We took the regular pictures, but we didn't go up because we would've had to wait in line for about 4-5 hours. I did buy a miniture Eiffel tower statue, which is something I've wanted for a long time. Whenever someone I knows go to Paris, I'm like, "Get me a miniture eiffel tower statue!" and they never do. Now that I know they're like 2 euros I realize my friends are cheap bastards... or should I say, basterds.

We took the bus to Champs Elysees and go off in front of this street market. I found one booth that was all Quebecois. They had no curds, so we kept walking towards the Arc de triumphe. We stopped to see a movie at this old theatre that had a balcony and everything! We saw New Moon and it was so bad. Soooo bad. But, I can see why teens love it. We had to keep our coats and gloves on during the whole film because it was so cold in the theatre. Tee-at-truh.

Anna and I were cranky and hunger which made us HANGRY at each other so a few fights ensued on the Champs. She took a picture of the arc and then I took one and she's all, "WHAT! MY PICTURE ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH!!" We knew it was time to go to our hotel and go to sleep.

hotel and next day to be continued

1 comment:

Anna said...

i bought you the tour eiffel!