Friday, June 6, 2008

Finally legal

The woman at the auslander office doubted me and Anna's marriage. She told this on the phone to Anna after cancelling our appointment that morning. Who does that? Like Anna and I got married as some hilarious joke. I thought it would be really fun to move to some piece of shit town in the middle of nowhere and leave my friends and family behind. Oh! And I also thought it would be really fun to have no money or job for six months while I waited for this visa.

Anna's mom called the woman and sorted everything out. Ida isn't an angry woman. I don't think she yelled at her or anything, but the woman was extra nice when she called Anna back to reschedule my appointment for the next day (Before Anna's mom called, she had said it would be awhile before I could get another appointment)

So, yesterday we took the bus to Mosbach (about 30 kms away from Buchen) and she asked me some questions very slowly in German, like, "What day is it today?" and "Where were you born." I answered them in my pigeon German. When she asked what I had for breakfast, if you translated it back into english, it would've sounded something like this: I have not breakfast because I sleep. Genau.

So breakdown of my waiting.
December: Hand over my passport, give them Anna's id, a copy of our marriage certificate, pictures of me, copies of how much money we make.
January: no answer
Febraury: no answer
March: they send us a letter saying that we need a criminal record check. That's good to know.. three months later. So, go to local police station and get fingerprinted, send fingerprints to Canada
April: wait for fingerprints to come back
May: Fingerprints come back. Send them to their office. They call for an interview
June: Cancel our interview because they think our marriage is fake. Anna's mom sets them straight and I get my visa.

How long did it take for the visa process? Half an hour. Well, plus six months and two weeks.

No comments: