Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Germany made me ugly

Before I came to Germany, I decided that I would quit smoking. I had my last cigarette with my mom in Nanaimo before saying goodbye to her. Six months later, I still haven't had a cigarette. My lungs feel worse than they have ever felt, and I've gained twenty pounds.  I lost ten pounds, so I guess I gained thirty in all. Germany has made me ugly. Tempted by sausages, chocolate, and an endless supply of beer, I had no choice but to gorge myself while trying to forget the lusty call of the cigarette.

It was only after the long, cold winter, when I shed my winter jacket and tried to put on my summer clothes that I realized just how fat I had become. Usually I would blame the dryer for shrinking my clothes, but we don't have one of those things. I had to face to hard facts--I was fat. 

So now, I'm starving myself because I have a trip home in 18 days. Anna tells me not to worry so much what my friends think, but she doesn't know my friends! Constantly, they're gossiping over whose ass got fatter, who is too skinny, who has shitty hair. Oh, the hair. My hair was so beautiful when I arrived in Germany. Then it started to grow, and grow, and grow. I didn't have my brother to cut it every two weeks, so it grew into this monster. I have a picture where I look like a cave woman playing video games. Out of desperation, I asked Anna to make me an appointment at the hair salon down the street called Krista's. I asked the hairdresser to take off 10 cm. Ten minutes and 20 cms later, she had thouroughly butchered my beautiful locks. It was a bad imitation of a Friends haircut circa 1997.  I have vowed to never let another stranger cut my hair again. 

I'm hoping Preston will cut my hair when I arrive before I'm reintroduced to the general public. I'm also hoping to buy some new clothes, so I'm not wearing the same shit I have been for the past four years. Europe is supposed to change you for the better.. I picked the wrong region. Anna swears we will be skinny once we move to Berlin. I agree. We'll be too poor to enjoy luxeries like cheese, sausages, and an endless supply of beer. 

No comments: