Monday, April 6, 2009

Finding obscurity in a 99 cents bin

I was thinking about music today and the thought of obscure music crossed my mind. I remember seeking out record shops to find the latest cd from subpop or killrockstars. You couldn't find that shit at A&B sound or the wal-mart cd kiosk. It was fun searching for the latest indie bands and listening to music that your friends made faces at. Yesterday, I was trying to find new music and the first place I decided to look for the new "cool" music was on the gossip girl website. Is there such thing as obscure music anymore? I think websites like myspace, last.fm, and itunes have destroyed obscure music.

Sure, each town has their own little gem of obscurity--an awesome band that hasn't been exploited on teen television dramas or Ipod commercials. It's like counter-culture has met up with popular culture and there's no where to hide. There are no more dark spaces--everything is wide open now thanks to mr. internet.

Or maybe I'm just old.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100% ! But we are getting old too...starting feel the quicksand!

Jessica said...

well, we can still be cool and old.. just not creepy and old.. I don't wanna feel like matthew mccoughahey in Dazed and Confused