Friday, April 24, 2009

Konstanz

We've moved into our apartment in Konstanz-Peterhausen. It's a very dorm like building. I'd say there about 100+ apartments in this building, each are about 25 square metres. Despite the smallness, I feel at home. Konstanz is like Nanaimo's grandfather, so to speak. In the altstadt, there are buildings that were built as early as 900 A.D. Now that's impressive. If it wasn't so crowded all the time, I would actually enjoy hanging around the altstadt.. but I can't handle large crowds of people constantly pushing each other to get through the narrow, cobbled streets. It makes me anxious and angry.

Yesterday, we walked across the Swiss border. There's no border control on the waterfront and the border is made up of art. Kreuzlingen, a Swiss town (I think that's the name) merges with Konstanz, so we walked on over to Switzerland, bought a frozen beer, and walked around the tierpark. I finally remember to bring some crackers for the swans. I was so excited when I saw one, so I rushed down to feed it thinking it was going to be all grateful... but no, it raised it's wings and hissed at me and started to charge me. I threw the cracker at it and ran away. Stupid swiss swans.

There's a student bar in the apartment building next to ours called Winny's that claims to have Karaoke. This is exciting. We also need to check out the frauen für frauen bar, Bella Donna's. I hope I shed some of this weight in the next few weeks.

No comments: