Saturday, June 6, 2009

Forest and sands

Today it dawned on me that it's probably going to be a shock coming back to Canada. Even last year, when I was in the airport in London, I was amazed that the woman could speak English. We went grocery shopping today for our dinner and as I was riding up the escalator I caught a snatch of someone's conversation as they rode down the escalator, and I understood what they were saying. When I got off the escalator, I looked around at all the stores and signs around me, and I understood everything. We walked outside the mall and an old lady asked another old lady if she needed help, and I understood.

And the rain started again, and I realized that I'm totally fucked because I now have two countries that I'm semi fond of, and I can't get away with being a stupid Canadian anymore. The Jehovah's taught me that today when I answered the door and they asked for Anna and I said, "Sie is nicht hier.." but they didn't care, so I pretended my german was horrible, but they started speaking German. I'm sure they would've brought out french if I tried that one on for size. Bastards. But, I was nice to them. I told them I was leaving soon so no, I cannot accept a date to study the bible with your wife.. sorry.

Now Anna and I are going to see Terminator 4 totally wasted. Good times. I'm going to miss this town.. this country... this lady.

No comments: